Friday, April 12, 2013

Drive Time Revelations

I was driving in to work this morning, and I was pondering the question of why, just when I have so much personal "stuff" to deal with, is this the time that the people who I thought were my friends decide to turn on me.  Of course most of them don't know about my personal issues, but somehow that doesn't make it any easier to swallow.  When I think about everything I've written about my connection with these people, how a void in my life was filled by them, I just sort of feel betrayed.  And I know that, individually, each of them did not decide to start acting this way.   In the simplest of terms, it's like a collective punch in the gut.

But suddenly I thought of something I'd read and identified so strongly with, and I felt like there might be some relevance to this poem.  It bears repeating, so I think I will do just that:

BEATITUDES FOR THE WEIRD

Blessed are the weird people ~ poets, misfits, writers, mystics, heretics, painters & troubadours...
for they teach us to see the world through different eyes.

Blessed are those who embrace the intensity of life's pain and pleasure... for they shall be rewarded with uncommon ecstasy.

Blessed are ye who see beauty in ugliness... for you shall transform our vision of how the world might be.

Blessed are the bold and whimsical... for their imagination shatters ancient boundaries of fear for us all.

Blessed are ye who are mocked for unbridled expression of love in all its forms...because your kind of crazy is exactly that freedom for which the world is unconsciously begging.

Blessed are those who have endured breaking by life... for they are the resplendent cracks through which the light shines.

I'm a weirdo, and this is something I've always known, but this poem sort of solidified it for me.  I figure...
 ~ I qualify as a writer or a troubadour, or both
 ~ I definitely see beauty in ugliness, always have.  How could I possibly cringe at the details of my good friend's shot in the eye when I know that it prevents her from losing her eyesight?  How could that possibly be anything but beautiful?
~ The others have yet to be determined, but I know that I can choose to embrace this difficult time in my life and view it as an experience that will further shape the person that I am and the person that I am continually evolving into.  I can choose to look at these people who seem to be turning on me and just accept that they are reacting to their own frustrations.  I can do all of this, and then I can just wait patiently for the uncommon ecstasy - although I have a feeling that I've already experienced it and with any luck, I will continue to do so.

It is the other weirdos out there that will see me through.   Thank you so, so much ..... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

No comments:

Post a Comment