Monday, June 17, 2013

What I've learned so far....

There is a world of nutritional data out there.  It is almost overwhelming.  Thanks to the internet, you can find nutritional data on just about any edible item.  What I've learned so far....          

Polenta is naturally low carb and sugar free.  Fry it up in a touch of olive oil and drip a tiny bit of hot sauce on it and you'll almost forget that you aren't eating rice, potatoes, bread or pasta.

Perry's no fat, no sugar added butterscotch swirl is really delicious.  The baby cone portion at Canalside Creamery appears to be about half a cup which equates to only 90 calories and a bonus of 4 grams of protein.  The cone itself is problematic but not excessively so.  I, of course, prefer the sugar cone, which -as the name indicates - is not the healthier choice.  40 calories vs 17 calories for the wafer-type cone, and twice as many grams of carb.  I know I should chuck the cone altogether and ask for the stuff in a dish....... but somehow a half a cup of ice cream would just look so pathetic and sad in a dish.  So, from now on... wafer cones for me!

I bought the Good Seasons cruet to make my own olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixture.  The cruet came with 2 packages of Good Seasons Italian dressing mix.  Guess what the #1 ingredient was?  You guessed it..... SUGAR!   I promptly dumped them in the trash.

I learned that my associate at work loves pita bread.  I gave her the pita that came with my souvlaki salad last week.  Today I ordered souvlaki salad again, (from a different place), and - again - it came with a pita.  I IM'd her :"want a pita?".  No lie, she was at my door in 20 seconds flat from the other side of the office.   Symbiosis at its finest.

Coffee that tasted delicious when loaded with cream and sugar doesn't taste so good black.... and vice versa.  Our favorite breakfast joint had what I would call mediocre coffee.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover this past Saturday that it was delicious when consumed black.  Man, that is some strange chemistry.  

So, I've only been at this for a little over a week.  I have to admit I'm actually looking forward to more of these little discoveries.  Cue the headline that reads "Diet Secrets that Skinny People Know".....

No comments:

Post a Comment