Monday, July 7, 2014

Day #1 My past does not define my future

“Today is a brand new day. My past does not define me. My future is mine to create.”


I am feeling good so far.  Given my recent reflections on family issues and weight issues, this is the perfect way for me to start this challenge.

I have made some potentially fatal mistakes in my relationships with my family, and for quite a while I've felt like I am reaping the results.  I must now tell myself that I cannot go back in time and erase what has been done.  The lesson in all of this is that there are rarely ever the opportunities for do-overs in relationships.  I can only go forward and try to work with what I still have and build.  And yes, I am once again thankful for Facebook.  Without it, this goal would be a lot more difficult to reach.

Ever since I graduated from college and plunked myself behind a desk in an office, my weight has been an issue.  This equates to 28 years of ups, downs, fitness highs and lows, and closet upon closet of clothing ranging in sizes from 6 to 16+.  Enough.  The future is mine to shape.  I know what I have to do.   Carbohydrates are my enemy.   My daughter, the culinary and nutrition expert, tells me that whole grains are an essential part of my diet and should not be ignored.  Yet, even when I eat whole grain bread and pasta and quinoa and spelt, I have the tendency to overeat.  I am going forward knowing that it is not realistic to completely eliminate grains and glutens, but I absolutely will not eat them at each meal.  My lunch today is a Trader Joe's Korean frozen entree with beef, rice and vegetables.  For a dessert/snack I have fresh fruit.  Almonds are at the ready in my desk.

I can't give up coffee.  I see it in my future, long-term, always.  Likewise chocolate - dark and sparingly.   This is my future, so far.   One day at a time...

Oops - almost forgot - here is the link to this 15 day affirmation challenge:

http://personalexcellence.co/blog/affirmation-challenge/

1 comment:

  1. A trainer I know said not to eat starchy carbs after 4pm. Or, have a large side salad to go with the pasta. I know that always helps fill me up. Coffee is always good. 2-3 cups a day is healthy. Dark chocolate = super food (literally).
    Sometimes, weight is based more on activity and not what we're eating but how much. As in, not enough. I know it sounds weird, but I trained myself to eat, so I wasn't hungry at the end of the day and ate too much. I once put in the amount I ate one day into one of those calorie calculators and it said "How are you still moving?"
    It's all about balance. Sounds like you're off to a great start. :)

    ReplyDelete